Monday, December 20, 2010

raincoast crisps

I nearly titled this entry, "raincoast crips." then I nearly laughed out loud. it's funny!

so, have you eaten these crackers yet?

have you purchased a box? I've eaten them as samples at whole foods, but haven't been able to cough up the ducats for the privilege of taking them home with me. I'm not very stingy when it comes to food, but really, I think I could eat the entire box in one sitting, and although I can't remember how much one costs, I know that I definitely balked at the price. but still, they're SO good. whenever they have them out at whole foods, I want to stand at the tray and just shovel them into my pockets (yes, I do resist that urge).

so, when the kitchen posted a diy recipe, I tried it immediately. I see now that there are others out there. I may have to try others as well!

but, back to the kitchen version (or actually, the Dinner With Julie version): it's great! one word of advice, if you have mini loaf pans, use them. I split the batter into four pans. you get a good sized crisp this way (narrow, rather than wide), plus, it's easy to bake one loaf and freeze three loaves, or bake two and freeze two, and so on. I love them with soft cheeses, especially goat cheese. oh yeah, and I subbed dried sour cherries for raisins, since that's what I had on hand (very delicious version). next time I'm thinking of trying a non-fruited version with sesame seeds. right, and another thing - I think the batter took about 5 minutes to put together. I didn't need a stand mixer either. it's a loose, quick bread batter, so it's easy to stir by hand. all in all, this recipe is a serious win-win.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Erica - Pat Cross here. . . I love raincoast crisps. But, they tend to overwhelm my cheese. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete