Thursday, December 31, 2009

counting calories


I'm using the Lose It application on the iphone to track my food consumption. it's convenient, and it feels dangerous. it's perfect for anyone who wants to be able to absolutely revel in the obsession of food and exercise regimens.

if you enter your current weight, your ideal weight, and a few other pieces of information, the software will generate a plan for you. it will tell you how many calories to eat each day to reach your goal within a specified period of time. then, as you use Lose It to track your calories, it will show you where you are within your calorie quota on a daily and weekly basis. if you exercise, it will subtract the number of estimated spent calories from your total.

the software also stores all the food choices you've entered, so that you don't have to search its entire database every time you want to log a food item. the food you've entered goes onto a short list that you can search once it gets too long to scroll through conveniently. you can also create custom food items if you can't find what you're looking for in the application database. as far as I can tell, the excercise options are decent. the software also generates a number of ways for you to view your progress (or in my case, lack thereof).

I don't think that Lose It is all that interested in your health. it tells me to eat 984 calories a day. I'm fairly sure that Lose It is a REALIST. I'm going to make it a point to think of Lose It as one of my personal advisors. once I've lost it, I'll probably be thinking of the progam as my very own consigliere.

1 comment: