Monday, March 21, 2011

moratorium


I've had to suspend my pad thai eating privileges for the time being. the delay will end when I'm able to fit into the clothing that I'd like to fit into.

that photo isn't mine, I took it off of ChezPim's site. and if I haven't already linked to it, here's her recipe for pad thai. I've made both the vegetarian (vegan) and traditional versions of the sauce, and the traditional version kicks ass so badly that I want to eat a giant helping every day. I try not to eat shrimp, and I almost never have meat in the house (habit from when John was vegetarian), so I've been making a version with whatever vegetables I have around (and the egg and tofu, of course!). it's heavenly.

oh yeah, I made that roasted chicken (thomas keller's), and it was likewise delicious. not so much so that I'd want to eat it every day, but I must say the breast meat was especially remarkable. it was tender and fall-apartingly, meltingly, delicious (I'm generally more fond of dark meat). pair that with some ginger-scallion dipping sauce and, to quote emeril lagasse (sp?), "wah-bam!"

I posted a recipe for the ginger-scallion dipping sauce on July 29, 2010, but here it is, in an easier to read format:

Ingredients
chunk of ginger, grated (about a generous top-of-your-thumb-joint size: ratio of ginger to scallion should be close to 1:1)
1 scallion, minced (green and white parts)
pinch msg (optional)
salt to taste
enough neutrally flavored oil to cover the above ingredients

Equipment
heat-proof bowl
small, thick-bottomed pot, or saucepan

Instructions
mix all ingredients in heat-proof bowl, heat oil in small, thick-bottomed pot until smoking, then pour it over the spice mixture. the oil will sizzle and cook the ginger/scallion combo and become really yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment