Monday, March 1, 2010

french fry guys

so, the most disquieting thing about my kombucha experience is that I was looking closely at the bottle as I opened it (slowly, a-hem), and I unfortunately noticed that there were disturbing things happening during the opening process.

do you see those two mop-like clusters of something hanging out above the label? this stuff was floating about, coming up to the top, and cavorting about inside my drink like the McDonald's french fry guys (front row, picture below).

not to sound too picky, but I didn't want the sensation of one of those devilish creatures touching my lips as I quaffed my beverage.

anyway, the taste wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. not that I knew what I was expecting. to tell the truth, it tasted like a Lambic Framboise Ale. I was thinking, am I going to get drunk if I drink this entire thing? I didn't get through the whole drink, but I am going to try it again soon. John kept exclaiming everytime I opened the bottle (we were in the car, running errands), 'woa, that stuff really stinks!'

there are apparently many health benefits to drinking kombucha (I didn't feel anything, but I only had like three ounces of my bottle), but I think that the part I like best is that it's scientifically classified as a 'zoogleal mat.'

I found out last night that I have more than one friend who is currently fermenting up their own kombucha. apparently, you use a 'mother' to start a new brew. each time you bring a mother through the fermentation process, she makes a 'daughter.' by this convenient process, you can always be in the kombucha, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment