Friday, March 5, 2010

grody, totally grody

I decided to get all homey and make Henry's birthday cake. it was his birthday yesterday, but we're celebrating one day late.

anyway, I made a chocolate cake with buttercream icing. the icing was intense, I had to buy a candy thermometer to do it properly. I got the recipe from epicurious, and made sure the reviews were good...

all went fine, except that I mistakely bought salted butter. um, ever tasted 5 sticks of salted butter that's been mashed together with some suger and egg whites? it tastes SALTY! oh, and buttery too. this cake is not going to taste good. it's got two layers, and some raspberry jam, so hopefully that will do something. my guess is that we'll each eat one bite, then throw it in the trash!

this morning, we took Henry to our neighborhood diner, and Ann, his friend, had a birthday booth all decorated! I'll post photos soon.

1 comment: