Tuesday, August 17, 2010

kawaii!

how cute can food get? do you really want to see? click away!

on a not so cute note, here's what I had for lunch. ps. I didn't eat the calculator.


the blob of stuff on the tomato is my current caesar salad dressing. it's nice and creamy, with a yummy flavor of lemon, mustard, and anchovy, but it wasn't the same as the one I'd od'd on the last time I was pregnant. Zab, if you're reading, I'll probably be asking you if you still have the recipe : )

I remember the previous recipe as exactly perfectly garlicky and lemony and fishy and YUMMY! I think I prefer a vinagrette style over a mayonnaise style (there's no mayo in the current recipe, but the recipe IS a mayo, if you know what I mean).

so, what you're seeing in the photo is a product of left-over caesar salad from Saturday night's dinner. ok, not strictly left-over because I added tomato in, but partially left-over. what I've decided is that pizza, caesar salad, and affogato are the PERFECT dinner party menu members. for Friday night's dinner, I made a plain gelato and it was so delicious in the espresso that I didn't miss vanilla, or any other flavoring whatsoever (which surprised me). for Friday and Saturday night's dinners, I tossed the torn innards of a baguette with olive oil (no salt or pepper added - sorry if that's heresy to you) and toasted them in the oven. those were the best croutons ever, and perfect for a simple romaine salad. easy easy easy, and I promise that although it takes a little effort to cook the tomato sauce, ice cream, pesto, salad dressing, and to prepare the pizza dough, that it's all done ahead of time, which means that your time is mostly free for hosting. ok, there's a little bit of an exception, which is that you'll have to cook the pizza's during the meal, but that's not such a big deal!

come over for dinner and you'll see what I mean <3 e.

1 comment:

  1. Ric! Check it (Email from Prengancy #1, aka Henry cutie pants):

    I’ve decided what the official foods of my pregnancy are:
    Tropicana Pure Premium No Pulp orange juice, slightly watered down
    Anchovy fillets (the expensive ones packed in nice oil in jars)
    Soupy rice + fixins (especially salty scrambled eggs with scallions and homemade dried pork fluff)
    Homemade Caesar dressing (especially in copious amounts over bite sized iceberg lettuce and zucchini chunks)

    Good Caesar dressing recipe:

    ½ cup grated parmesan cheese (really good kind if you can find some)
    3 cloves garlic (fat ones!)
    3 Tbsp. lemon juice
    8 anchovy fillets
    2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
    ¾ cup olive oil (or tad less)

    Process all ingredients except oil – slowly pour oil into running food processor. Eat with spoon (just kidding).

    ReplyDelete