Monday, April 23, 2012

new post, new goal, new obsessions

wow, I have been away for a LONG time. what's been going on? oh not much, just experiencing sheer insanity. but that's OK because where it counts my life is a placid, happy place.

I just signed up for my very FIRST race.  yeah, I used to run cross country, winter, and spring track when I was a teenager, and although I did continue running through much of my adult life, I've never run a community organized race.

so why now?

I tend to be a sucker for magazines placed in the impulse section of the check out line and I let myself buy one about every six months. yesterday I bought and read a running magazine (Running Times). it made me nostalgic for my running days. today I signed up for the Runner's World 10K in Bethlehem, PA. it doesn't happen until the third week of October, so if I can't run 6 miles by then, then I just totally suck.

this is the featured photo of Bethlehem. it looks "enhanced" to me (Technicolor?).

actually, considering the fact that I haven't run regularly since month five of my first pregnancy, there's a pretty decent chance that I won't finish this 10K. it amazes me, when I consider my history of compulsive running and exercising, that I haven't fallen back into that pattern AT ALL since Henry's birth, four years ago.

but now I have an official completion date for "getting into shape." John has signed on to "support me" in this endeavor. I have found inspirational words on a website called, Run Injury Free with Jeff Galloway.  nothing can stop me now! well, nothing except my tendency towards torpor.

2 comments: