Tuesday, November 30, 2010

shabby chic

so, you may not know this, but I'm really a shabby chic girl at heart. ok, so that's not entirely true, in the sense that I certainly don't stick to that aesthetic when it comes to decor, but it is true in that those shabby elements get me every time. John is NOT shabby or chic. he's victorian, but in a weird, male, left-brain kind of way.

this is an image that depicts the relationship between john's right and left brains. I think he uses nearly all of his right brain for intuition because he is fairly intuitive. he's a little creative, but mostly he's into the color blue, and symmetry. these two preoccupations express themselves in decorating thusly: "how about we paint the walls a shade of blue, and hang the pictures in a symmetrical layout?" he uses most of his left brain thinking about language, but not using it properly.

but I digress. what I wanted to do was to say that I saw this photo posted on apartment therapy, and I'm really into it. apartment therapy got the photo from a website called, Cafe Cartolina. I haven't looked through the entire site, but from the glance I took at the current first page, I'll probably go back there regularly.

I totally want that bedframe. john would not want that bedframe. and there you have our entire home decorating process. it's basically an iterative conversation that follows the same, general outline each time. he suggests something, I say I don't like it. I suggest something, he says he doesn't like it. the one thing that does change is the emphasis on the dislike. some things merit a lazy, "I don't think so...," whereas others rightfully deserve an adamant (and loud), "NO!"

we both get sick of the conversation, so john has started to do things like put light fixtures in without saying anything. they just show up. they're invariably ugly, and there they are - in my wall. ugh.

1 comment: