Tuesday, January 25, 2011

old traditions - Chinese New Year

ok, maybe I should say Lunar New Year, but I'm going to go and hog it all for the Chinese.

maybe I'm crazy, but I plan to make at least a few traditional foods! at the minimum, I'd like to make two types of rice flour cakes: turnip yumminess, and new year stickiness (mmmm, taro would be great too, but perhaps a stretch for me). epicurious has some recipes featured, and anything I make would be a variation of those (e.g. I omit dried shrimp - I've never really liked those little buggers). other foods I'd like to make are noodles, classic pork dumplings and scallion pancakes.

john gets all crazy when I outline elaborate meals to make, but I don't care how much anxiety it gives him, I'm going to cry "heritage!" and go for broke. if I go into labor while rolling out a scallion pancake, then so be it. I'd be surprised if boyfetus#2 decided to come out that early, anyway. and well, if he did, then he won't be a rabbit! he'll be a tiger. not as lucky as rabbits, them tigers.

ok, the above photo is a bit blurry, but I think you get the idea. I bought this reuben for lunch and it was REALLY good. I'd actually had some of a delicious chickpea salad first, so I didn't eat both halves, but let me tell you, I really did want to eat the entire thing (actually, I still want to go to the refrigerator and get the second half to eat right now).

No comments:

Post a Comment