Saturday, May 22, 2010

a post for wyatt; patience = key; and BIG ups to Kate and Hoagie

part 1: a post for Wyatt
so, I can't get over how good burritos are. I LOVE them. not the authentic tacqueria type (although they are so good too, especially the ones from SF where they let you take roasted jalapenos as a free side dish - yes, busted, I've never had an authentic burrito, i.e. one from Mexico), but the kind from those sterile, american chains. what they do right, in my humble opinion, is they have giant, thin tortillas, steamers, and both black and pinto beans. qdoba used to be my favorite place, but right now I'm into chipotle. I had a burrito for dinner one night ago, the remainder for lunch yesterday, another last night (john insisted on going to a different chipotle, ha ha), and I plan to eat the remainder either for breakfast, or lunch. I get mine with no rice, a mix of bean types, sometimes chicken, a smattering of cheese, mild and corn salsa, and a small side of guac (which john hogs). did I happen to mention that I love cilantro? couldn't stand the stuff until I was 17 - and believe me, my mother tried to get me to enjoy it throughout my entire childhood-adolescence. whenever I crave a burrito, I think of how my dear friend, zab, would get so disgusted by the fact that her beau, wyatt, would eat burritos for every meal if given the option. zab would eat them, but with a certain look on her face. the first time we ever went to a chinese restaurant together, wyatt opted for the mushu pork. john pointed out that he even went for the burrito at the chinese joint.

part 2: Ktiker and Hoagie are getting married!!!! thanks to Matt Jenkins, I will know where to go, and what time to arrive. thanks, Matt! I was so tempted to get a hotel room at the wedding facility, but considering the fact that we had to ask my in-laws to babysit, I didn't think it would be respectful. hey, did anyone ever mention to you that once you have kids it's difficult to party? unless, of course, you host everything yourself, which we are prone to do, but always having to go to your place is probably really boring for our friends.

part 3: patience = key
I'm so not used to being a failure at something I decide I really want to do. but, you know what? I cannot seem to get started on this weight-loss, get-in-shape thing. that is, I'm good at getting started, getting nowhere and then not sticking to the plan and then going back to square one. I mentioned this to a nice sales person at REI the other day (in many fewer words), and he graciously suggested that I am just busier these days than I used to be. what have I come to that I'm accosting young, fit people to tell them why I'm so dumpy???? so, here's my latest plan: use a pedometer to log my workouts (for the accountability factor), be patient with my runs (I always want to make an improvement with EACH workout, and when that doesn't happen, I get discouraged. plus, since it's hard to get up so early in the morning, shorter runs have to be OK if I want to run at all), and start a new (b)log. you, my readers, will have access to this blog, it will be linked here, and it will be a serious and detailed accounting of my food intake (with estimated calories). BORING, yes (and that's why I decided to link it here. I didn't want to turn this page into a nauseating list of my daily eating habits - I'm fairly sure I don't want to chase away the two readers I've got), BUT here's the high concept part - it will also be a log of what I DIDN'T eat! I noticed yesterday that staying away from foods made me feel really good about myself (hello anorexia?), better in fact, than eating the right foods does (at least momentarily). for example, I did not eat a croissant, or a pastry, or a bagel with cream cheese. am I just making this list up, like I didn't eat a cow, a tree, or a shoe? NO! and that's the rule - I must have encountered the food that I avoided in order for it to count. that is, I must have actually turned it down, not ordered it, or otherwise have passed up a real opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment