Saturday, January 16, 2010

dinner for breakfast

you may not be able to tell, but I'm Chinese (my parents moved to the US from Taiwan), and being so means that I can stomach most foods in the wee hours of the day. as usual, I was up early (ah, peace). today, I began with a good read, donated to me by the owner of my neighborhood diner, Lucretia.


it inspired me to bake bread, but I'm saving that activity for tomorrow. I don't eat tons of bread, but Henry does, and I thought it would be nice to bake bread weekly. instead, I decided to cook the bacon that had been languishing in my fridge since before Thanksgiving (yeah, well bacon doesn't go bad, right?).


my plan was to chop it up to use in one of my all-time favorite recipes Fu Mei Chiao's Fried Rice (that's my mom's name, pronounced foo may). the recipe calls for left-over rice, bacon, eggs, scallion, salt, and soy sauce. that's all! no veggies - they just make the rice too moist. this isn't "healthy" food per se, but it's definitely comfort food, and it's important to get comfort in for balance, which leads to health.


sadly, Henry is mildly allergic to eggs, so I had to substitute tofu, but I made the tofu look like eggs by adding a bit of tumeric and mashing it as I lightly fried it (a hippie trick I learned in days of yore). not a bad imitation


and after the cooking was done, this is how it looked. my breakfast was four pieces of bacon (I couln't help it) and a half cup of fried rice...

yesterday I had a training session with Jamie. now my abs are SORE! it feels good, though. I managed to work out each work day this week. I'd really like to keep it up, especially since I think my desk job is the main culprit in my less-than-healthy lifestyle (stop mentioning the bacon!).
o&o, e

2 comments:

  1. Hey Erica! I am getting inspired by your and Kate's food/lifestyle blogs. :) I like making food at home but I need to get more creative and think of new things!

    ReplyDelete