Tuesday, January 26, 2010

"forbidden fruit makes many jams"

that's what I saw on a church sign today, as I was driving to my in-laws' house. Henry and I are sick, and they're taking care of us.

well, if forbidden fruit makes jams, then forbidden rice makes boss drool. that's what my boss was making lusty sounds about yesterday. ok, well, maybe it was the fish on top of the rice, but really, the cool thing about my lunch yesterday was the rice.


see? look at the rice, it's cool looking because it's purple. plus, the black rice is supposed to have many nutritive benefits. I think that mainly Koreans eat their rice this way, but maybe I say that because it happens to be a Korean brand? The package directions say to mix one part black rice into two parts white rice. I did it that way, and it was delicious. oh by the way, the black rice is called, forbidden rice. I'm not sure why.


I also had some miso soup with my lunch. I felt very sophisticated in my cube on Monday, really.


one thing that wasn't good about Monday's food choices was breakfast. don't get me wrong, I ate healthily, but I chose wrong. I put cottage cheese together with blueberries and granola. hey, they were all in the same bar, plus I always see cottage cheese with fruit in grocery stores. why the granola? it just looked aesthetically pleasing, see? pretty, right?


pretty gross! I didn't like it at all, but of course, I choked it down...after separating all of the ingredients and eating them separately.

by the way, I'm time warping back to the weekend for this post. It's been a while since I've posted, so I'm re-capping in the interest of divulging my true eating habits. John, Henry, and I went to H-Mart, a Korean grocery store (tiny mall) in Elkins Park, PA. there are other locations, but I haven't been to any of them. I LOVE going to Asian grocery stores, and H-Mart is great because it doesn't smell like an Asian grocery store! why do I love going to Asian grocery stores? maybe because I'd never find this at my local Thriftway. I didn't purchase a box of these, but considered it for a moment. they're seafood sausages which I think are to be eaten on the go?


Plus, H-Mart has a food court on the second level, where Henry discovered escalators, and I discovered that chicken and joy DO go together. I wasn't sure, but now I am.


oh yeah, and H-Mart features a "Paris Baguette" bakery. I stopped in and picked up some treats. I wasn't sure of what everything was, but I'm game that way. There was a chocolate croissant in the box too, but John snapped that up before I could manage the photo. yes, that is a hot dog wrapped in croissant pastry. that was for Henry, and he pretty much ate the hot dog out of the croissant.


Before going food shopping, we went food eating, of course. John was in the mood for a bowl of noodles, so we went to get some Pho (Vietnamese beef broth & rice noodle delight) in South Phila.

I'm sorry for taking such a graphic photo, I know there are those of you who can't "do noodles." I swear, they are so good! but of course, I'm still trying to be good (I only at a bite of each pastry, I swear), so I mostly drank my broth.


The pho restaurant we frequent is actually Henry's favorite dining establishment (aside from Sulimay's). here is he is, enjoying his meal. he prefers rice over noodles, and like me, loves a good broth. mostly he eats hoisin sauce. he uses a spoon to eat it. this kid would probably be happy if I bought him a salt lick for his birthday. hey, I could shape it like a cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment