Sunday, January 24, 2010

I have to get onto a soap box for just a mo'

as you know, I'm generally up early, weekend or not. now that I'm old, most mornings I listen to public radio (I used to listen to music). on Sunday mornings, there's a show called, Speaking of Faith. ok - I'm going to get super TMI, but there you go, that's what a blog is all about! I'm not Christian, nor do I follow any path of spirituality that worships a God that's been written about in the Bible, or the Koran, or wherever. which is not to say that I don't have faith, or that I'm not spiritual, or that I judge anyone who is. I believe in an entity's right to believe what they want to believe, and I hope that one day no one will have to believe that their way is the only way. phew - I love listening to Speaking of Faith because it introduces all sorts of topics and puts them into context of the human condition, metaphysical questions, seemingly non-religious topics, and etc. this morning, Krista Tippett is speaking to Katy Payne. Katy Payne discovered that whale songs change, and that those changes are the evolution of whale culture. today, she's discussing her life, elephants (she also discovered that elephants communicate in a frequency that humans can't hear because they're too low, the frequency is called, infrasound), and how she chooses to be spiritual. you should really listen to the podcast when you have the time because the way she characterizes elephants, her beliefs, human social systems, & etc. is so moving, sad, hopeful, inspirational, and entertaining.

maybe I just liked it because I'm an ex-biologist, current animal-lover, and non-practicing environmentalist, but I'd really like to hear what you think of it, if you decide to listen to it. what impressed me most was the wisdom and love present in Katy Payne's voice (wow, that sounded totally hippie). she also had great elephant stories, and a very serious message about life. since my parents died, I've been trying to figure out where I am with my life, and how to square my current activities with my ideals (honestly, they're so not on the same page most of time, and as much as it pains me to say that, it's true. but that fact isn't entirely depressing, as I tend to be an impractical dreamer and know that I have to adjust my outlook to bring in the reference of real life). the single idea that Katy discussed that impressed me the most is a tenant of Quaker life: she tries to take just what she needs in life, and tries to pare her life's contents down to what she finds to be essential...(hey! it works as a diet mantra too! oh, that was sad).

No comments:

Post a Comment